Mountain View is a city located in Santa Clara County, in the U.S. state of California, USA. The city gets its name from the views of the Santa Cruz Mountains. As of the 2000 census, the city had a total population of 70,708. It is one of the major cities that make up Silicon Valley. Google... (More Info and Source) Mountain View Real Estate
CYPRESS, A KIMPTON HOTEL
Hotel rate starting at just $107 at
Get the scoop on affordable Mountain View hotels for your budget.
ALOFT SILICON VALLEY
Hotel rate starting at just $94 at
EXTENDED STAY AMERICA - UNION CITY - DYER ST.
Hotel rate starting at just $79 at
Thirty-two-year-old Ronald Guinto is charged with molesting six of his former students on camping trips between December 2012 and October 2013, but KTVU has learned some parents' concerns go back a few years.
Guinto started a youth group called "Camp Epic" in 2010. Mother Kelleen Torres says she met Guinto at a youth workshop the same year. Torres says Guinto lit up the room, but after hearing about his arrest last week, her encounter with him did not add up.
"He lied about his age," said Torres. "He told me he was a 19 year old kid."
Torres says Guinto was eager to recruit her son to participate in his camp.
"He was all over me as soon as he found out I had a boy," said Torres. "He wanted my son (and) immediately gave me his card, gave me all of his contact information."
2 Investigates confirmed Guinto also passed out fliers for Camp Epic to fourth graders at Canyon Oaks Elementary School in American Canyon, but it's not clear how many students may have participated.
At the time, Guinto was a student teacher at Canyon Oaks while working on his masters in education at Touro University on Mare Island in Vallejo.
No one answered the phone number listed for Camp Epic, but an outgoing message promoted that the "potential to be a leader is found in every young person."
The message also directed callers to the group's website which now shows that it is down "for maintenance."
Guinto pleaded not guilty to 27 counts involving sexual abuse of boys and kidnapping.
His attorneys declined to comment, saying they are awaiting reports expected to deliver more information about the case.
Torres told KTVU she's speaking up now to encourage any other potential victims to come forward.
"I want them all to come forward and not be ashamed because it wasn't their fault," said Torres.Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:56:44 -0700
Two students are facing expulsion from Balboa High School after bringing a gun to campus, taking a photo with it and posting the image on Facebook.
San Francisco Police said two 16-year-old boys brought a loaded handgun to campus on Wednesday and took photos with the weapon inside a school bathroom. The boys posted a photo on Facebook, which was seen by a student who notified administrators.
San Francisco School District Communication Director Gentle Blythe said no threats were made and they do not believe any students were in danger.
“We have no reason to believe that they intended to do anything with the gun other than pose for photos with it,” said Blythe.
KTVU obtained the letter that was sent home to parents Friday explaining the “extremely serious incident.” Part of the letter written by the principal reads, “We are both shocked and deeply saddened by this incident, but remain committed to making sure this type of incident does not happen again.”
A student who knows one of the boys who posed with the gun said he didn’t expect his friend to make this kind of mistake.
“He was a good kid,” said the student. “I can’t believe he would do something like that.”
Parents said the situation calls into question the dangers and advantages of social media. D’Artanian Woodard has a son who attends Balboa High and said he talks to his son regularly about being cautious with what he shares online.
“I try to tell him the importance of once you post it it’s stuck with you for life,” said Woodard. “People look at it for jobs or for future employment. Once it’s out there, it’s out there.”
Police confiscated the loaded handgun, along with a rifle and pellet gun from the home of one of the boys. Both were cited for bringing a gun to school and Blythe said the boys will be expelled from the school.Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:43:14 -0700
Two more workers were injured by acid spray Monday morning at the Tesoro Golden Eagle Refinery in Pacheco near Martinez.
It's the second such incident, which also injured two workers, in less than a month. It happened quick and was over quick, but the injuries raise even more self-inflicted doubts about Tesoro's ability to run a safe refinery.
At 10:49 a.m., Tesoro called the Contra Costa Hazardous Materials agency about yet another sulfuric acid spill incident contaminating another two contractor employees.
“My understanding is that one person has been released already and the other one is still in observation but in good spirits,” says Maria Duazo a County HAZMAT Specialist. In a statement Tesoro confirms the basic facts but then says this, “The cause of the incident is under investigation and is believed to be unrelated to the chemical release that occurred on Feb. 12.” Really?
“It's the same unit,” says Greg Karras, Senior Scientist for refinery watchdog Communities for a Better Environment (CBE).
“The state OSHA actually shut this down after the first incident and allowed it to reopen last week,” says CBE's Karras.
CalOSHA says Tesoro met all five conditions for reopening the unit.
After the February spill, Tesoro refused to allow the Federal Chemical Safety Board to enter the premises, saying it was a minor spill that gave the Board no jurisdiction.
Tesoro later let inspectors in after the Board wrote the CEO a threatening letter.
“When they were allowed back in, they reported that equipment has been replaced, which seems like a good thing if it was replaced correctly; we don't know that yet, but, certainly would have destroyed evidence that investigators would have needed to get fully to the bottom of it,” said CBE's Karras.
Now, more inspections are assured including county Hazmat.
“An inspection specific to the area of the refinery that's involved,” says HAZMAT Specialist Duazo.
Communities For A Better Environment says workers would not have been injured Monday had the unit been kept shut down for a more complete inspection and testing protocol that now seems would have been the wiser path to take.Mon, 10 Mar 2014 19:23:46 -0700 News Source: MedleyStory More Local News Stories